Planning to Work Abroad? Don’t Forget to Pay Your Taxes!

Are you considering taking a short or long-term paid assignment oversees?  As long as you are a U.S. resident, you still may have to pay taxes to the U.S. regardless of the currency you receive it in.  According to

“If you are a U.S. citizen or resident alien, the rules for filing income, estate, and gift tax returns and paying estimated tax are generally the same whether you are in the United States or abroad. Your worldwide income is subject to U.S. income tax, regardless of where you reside.”

You can find further information directly from the IRS here:

There are some exclusions to this.  In 2015, the maximum foreign earned income exclusion (“FEIE”) rose to $100,800 for single filers, and married $201,600 for married couples.  The maximum foreign housing exclusion was $14,112 for 2015. Expat parents may benefit from taking the foreign tax credit as an alternative to the FEIE to reduce his or her taxable income for foreign income taxes paid.

If you have been living abroad for years and have not been paying your taxes, your U.S. passport may be revoked.  You should consult a CPA immediately in this case to rectify the situation, and file for one of the IRS’s amnesty programs.